Artist's conception - HMCS Haida in action.
Z for their Zeal
...in storm or in calm.
- What type of conditions did the RCN face in the Battle of the Atlantic?
- What kind of challenges were faced in a U-Boat attack?
- Why was it important for crew to remain calm when under attack?
- What motivated crews to maintain their composure?
Choose one topic:
- Write a brief account on what you think the challenges that a Canadian naval crew would face in a non-conflict day in late November on the Murmansk run. What kind of conditions would there be? Would it be as a stressful as a combat situation?
- Research and report on the combat conditions faced by the crew of HMCS St. Croix, September 1943. You are the only survivor. What are your feelings?
- Research and report on the combat conditions that were faced by Bill Connolly and his fellow crewmembers on board HMCS Athabaskan, April 29, 1944. How do you think survivors felt?
- Research and report on the challenges faced by the crew of an oil tanker traveling in convoy. What are the primary fears and concerns? How do you think you would feel and act if you were a crewmember?
For research resources, see the resources page.