A Merchantman sinking.
M is for Merchantmen
...filled with supplies, bore the brunt.
- What is a Merchantman?
- Who manned the Merchantmen?
- Why were they so important to the Allies?
- Why were they important targets to the Germans?
- Where did the crews originate?
- When was their safety committed to the convoy system?
Choose one topic:
- Research and prepare a report on the number of merchant sailors who gave their lives during the Battle of the Atlantic.
- Research and report on the nationalities of those merchant sailors who served the Allies in WWII.
- Research and report on the strategic impact of US shipbuilding and the Liberty Ship on the outcome of the Battle of the Atlantic. Profile Henry J. Kaiser.
- Research and prepare a report on the placement of ships in a convoy system. Explain where and why they were placed.
- Research and report on why it took so long (2000) for the Canadian Government to recognize the role of the merchant sailors in the prosecution of the Battle of the Atlantic.
For research resources, see the resources page.