U-Boat bunker in Lorient, France.
F is for France
...U-boats get new bases, secure.
- Where were the French sub pens located?
- When did the Germans secure their use?
- What was the importance of the pens to the Germans?
- Why was the location a threat to the convoy system?
- Who was charged with their destruction?
Choose one topic:
- Research and prepare a report on the strategic advantage the U-Boat fleet had with the capture of the French Submarine Pens at Lorient.
- Research and report on allied bombing efforts to destroy the sub pens at Lorient.
- Research and report on the aim and objective of the British Commando raid on St. Nazaire.
- Research and report on RCN and RN anti-submarine action in the Bay of Biscay.
- Research and prepare a report on the other ports from which the German submarines operated.
For research resources, see the resources page.