D is for Destroyer
...the convoy's ears and eyes.
- When were RCN Destroyers first deployed in WWII?
- Where were Destroyers built?
- What was their primary role?
- What was the crew compliment?
- Why were Destroyers used?
- Who commanded a Destroyer?
Choose one topic:
- Research and prepare a study of HMCS Haida or HMCS Algonquin and their role in the Battle of the Atlantic.
- Research and report on HMCS Athabaskan, a Canadian Destroyer lost in action off in the coast of France in 1944.
- Research and prepare a study on the Canadian Tribal Class Destroyers in the Battle of the Atlantic.
- Research the training time needed by crews before they and their ship were declared commissioned and ready for duty.
- Research and report on the methods and weapons used by Canadian Destroyers when U-boats were detected.
For research resources, see the resources page.